Bhubaneswar: The adjoining areas of Sun Temple, Konark will get a new look, thanks to the initiative of Indian Oil Corporation.
The Indian Oil Foundation, a non-profit trust formed by Indian Oil Corporation, will be adding new features to the ancient site, which will be inaugurated by Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
Here are the new features which will be added –
- A World-class Interpretation Centre, spread across eight acres. Boasting five galleries depicting the history, culture and architecture of Odisha, the Interpretation Centre also features galleries dedicated to the many Sun temples in India and across the world. Touch-screen kiosks and multimedia depictions, together with sculptures, scale models and artefacts in the five galleries make for fabulous viewing.
- Visitors will be left spell-bound with the fusion of sight and sound at the 60-seater auditorium with state-of-the art audio-visual and acoustics systems. Here, animated films depicting the origins and history of the Sun Temple at Konark will be stellar attractions. A VIP lounge, a cafeteria, and a welcome lobby with ticket counters will all add to the excitement. All the facilities are covered with CC TV cameras and appropriate fire-fighting facilities ensure safety for all.
- A rare fusion of the old and the new will be an exhibit of murals and sculptures by Padma Shree, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan Raghunath Mahapatra, the world-renowned master sculptor of Odisha, whose works have graced leading exhibitions in India and abroad.
- The sprawling Main Avenue leading from the outer ring road to the Sun Temple has been beautified with artistic landscaping. Elegant water bodies have been developed along the way, with well-manicured gardens, water-bodies, paved roads, ample streetlights and high-mast towers adding a touch of class to the entire setting.
- To make a visit to Konark comfortable, IOF has developed an extensive Main Parking Area for tourist buses spread across five acres. This facility has space for 60 buses and modern washroom facilities have also been made available here alongside relaxation facilities and snacks counters for the bus drivers and others.
- A drop-off point has also been developed closer to the temple. Here, parking facilities for cars, 3-wheelers and 2-wheelers is provided alongside Toilet Blocks, Waiting Lounge, Water Points, Snacks Counter, Rain Shelter & Landscaping.